ACAF is a comic arts festival all about comics, cartooning, illustration and storytelling and the related industry BUT our focus is on the Comic Artists, honing their craft, developing their profiles and their businesses.
ACAF Day 1 – Professional Development Workshops
Learning, Earning and Life as a Comic Artist
Day One features a mix of master classes, workshops, and panel sessions focusing on the professional development of Australian Comic Creators, from both a skilling-up perspective as well as developing and deepening the understanding of avenues for publishing, printing, marketing, selling and distributing their work. For aspiring artists, writers and fans there are also sessions on story telling, developing comic creation skills and breaking into the industry. There will be networking opportunities, portfolio evaluations, and exploring best practice in collaborative studio arrangements. Finishing off the day will be drinks and celebrations including the launch of at least two books by talented Australian Artists
Comic Creators appearing include:
- Karen Beilharz (Kinds of Blue, Eternal Life)
- Wolf Bylsma (Gestalt Publishing)
- Thomas Campi (Le Larmes Du Seigneur Afghan, Les Petites Gen)
- Queenie Chan (Fabled Kingdom, The Dreaming, Small Shen)
- Julie Ditrich (Elf~Fin: Hyfus & Tilaweed, Dart, ElfQuest: WaveDancers)
- Jason Franks (Sixsmiths, McBlack, Kagemono)
- Tristan Jones (TMNT)
- Louie Joyce (Mishmash, Hodgepodge)
- Ryan K Lindsay (My Little Pony, Ghost Town, Fatherhood)
- Paul Mason (The Soldier Legacy)
- Bruce Mutard (Fabliaux, The Sacrifice, The Silence)
- Mark Sexton (Judge Dredd, Mad Max: Fury Road)
Entry to each workshop requires a modest fee to help cover costs associated with bringing you quality presenters, venue and logistics.
ACAF Day 2 – Comics Market Day – Entry $15 or FREE for children under 12
ACAF features an Artists Alley open to comic artists and the public with comics, graphic novels and related literature available for sale.
There will also be free panel sessions, exhibitor spaces for corporate sponsors, and artist signing opportunities.
Artists Alley – 10am-5pm